Yup, I finally finished the Aurora scarf and mittens, thus completing the set!
They've been pretty much done for weeks, but I wanted to knit an i-cord to connect the mittens so they don't get lost, and only last night did I think to measure my niece to figure out how long to make the cord. (Turns out she is exactly the size predicted by a 2-4 year old sweater pattern I looked at.) I also wasn't sure if the i-cord would be too bulky but it looks like that's what a lot of people do. (Also, look at how cute these are.)
I also had to bind off the scarf and add tassles (my new textbook, Coaching for Commitment came in handy for this!) I wasn't sure whether to make the scarf longer or not, but in the end I decided not to, and actually ripped back a few rows so I would have enough yarn for the tassles. This way I can return the remaining 2 skeins. I ended up really liking how these items came out but I don't think I'll be knitting anything else with this yarn.
I also tried blocking for the first time! I didn't do much research, just hit one of the first links that came up on google for an article on knitty.com. I tried steam-blocking with a wet tea towel, but I didn't have any blocking pins - I'm definitely going to get some as I think it will help to widen out the Yankees scarf. For the Aurora scarf it worked just fine - Aurora can actually be ironed straight according to the yarn label.
My own - cast on 32st, *K2, P2, K4, P2* repeat 3 times, K2, cable every 6 rows.
Finished object: (pre-blocking)
Based on "Child's hat, scarf and mittens" pattern from my Susan Bates starter kit with added cable detail.
Flickr set is here.