I've been suffering from knitting withdrawal symptoms this week after all those quick FOs. It is particularly strange to miss the dishcloths. They were surprisingly satisfying to knit although I have yet to um, get up the nerve to actually wash dishes with them.
However, I am getting busy again. I've decided to start with spring knitting and have been swatching for the Indigo Ripples Skirt by Kat Coyle from Interweave Knits Spring 2007, only my version is green.
Before I really get going on that though I wanted to finish my last major project -- and that's the big news for today. I finally finished the asymmetrical wrap!
November 9th, 2007 - February 24th, 2008
Just over 9 skeins of Classic Elite Montera in pacha mama 3876
US #10-1/2 Knitpicks Options circulars
Well, I was seduced by the tall blonde with the blowy hair, and even though I suspected at the time that it might not be an entirely practical project, I decided to go for it anyway.
And even though I'm not sure I will actually be able to wear this in public (at least not without a lot of strategic safety pins) it ended up looking better than I feared it would so I'm pretty happy. And maybe I will try wearing it some day.
I went with the yarn specified in the pattern and it ended up being a little more hairy/fuzzy than it looks in the photo. And while I love brown, brown is... a little bit relentless when you're knitting with it. Nevertheless, the needles were big and the pattern pretty straightforward so it was a relatively fast knit. I finished the bulk of the knitting towards the end of December but then it kind of sat for a while.
This past weekend though I set about completing the finishing. I was not entirely sure how to do the "vertical crochet lines" that were supposedly looped across 2 stitches. I tried that, and it didn't really seem to work, so I took the left loop of one stitch and the right loop of the other and it looked about right so I went with it. The fringe was pretty straight forward. In fact, the entire pattern was pretty straightforward.
As I hoped, a little steam blocking of the lower edge worked wonders, although did not quite eliminate the weird flaring around the waist, and amazingly the detailing did seem to really help. I think the vertical crocheted lines emphasized, well, the vertical.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I originally knit the long side of this much longer, about another 12" longer actually, per the pattern, but decided it was too long for me. So get this -- I cut that section off, picked up the loops and re-knit the 2x2 rib border.
I see two major problems with actually wearing this piece. First of all, the sleeves are too tight fitting to wear anything with sleeves underneath, and while the yarn isn't overly scratchy, I don't think it's going to be the most comfortable thing that tight to the skin. Plus it's also a very warm fabric so this is not so much the evening event piece I was imagining. However, I like how it looks with jeans so I guess one could wear it to... I don't know, a winter barbecue or something?!!! I suppose you could wear a tank underneath and take the piece off if you get hot.
The other big problem is that the one pin isn't really enough to give it the structure it needs to hold itself in place at the front, thus my earlier reference to needing many other safety pins. But the long side of the wrap in particular is too heavy for pins to really hold well. I wonder if you could line it with fabric to give it more structure.
Even with my misgivings, I think I will try wearing it some time, perhaps to some kind of low key family event to start with. It was kind of fun wearing it to take photos, although it was hard to get good shots. I even tried to use a fan to get the blowy hair effect... but it wasn't strong enough. I wish my camera at least had a remote control -- it would have made it so much easier. I have a few shots that I'm happy with though and overall, I'm glad I tried this project.